The last-minute week

As a person who works to the last minute of every deadline, I’m quite good at not addressing things which are coming up. So last week when the kids went back to school there were ‘suddenly’ lots of things I had to get done very quickly. It’s like there was a blackout on any calendar events after 2nd September.

So I turned the calendar over from August to September late on 1st and realised that it was my friend’s son’s first birthday on the third. That was about how the week went then. I was winding wool for my fairisle workshop late the night before, ordering school lunches about an hour before the deadline and so on.

IMG_0661.JPG

A few lovely bits of fairisle from the workshop in Solihull. We used Rowan Fine Tweed which I love.

Another last minute job was to make something to wear for Lauren’s book launch party at Guthrie and Ghani last night. I don’t go to parties much these days so I never know what to wear and tend to make something that I think will be just right for the occasion. I bought a great book of Japanese dress patterns  from here and have made the dress on the front cover twice. You do have to trace off the patterns which is a bit of a bind but worth it as the patterns are so unusual.

I bought the fabric for this version from Guthrie and Ghani and it’s a really light handkerchief cotton in a grey/green shade. The pattern has 5 large pleats on the front yoke which I turned into 15 smaller pin tucks which show on the right side and turned out really well. This is a bit of a rubbish photo from when we got home but I thought it best to capture it while I remembered rather than waiting for daylight!

image

The party was really good. Stuart from the Sewing Bee was there which made it extra fun and I met Tilly and had chance to tell her how much I love her Coco dress pattern.

Lauren’s book is a brilliant mix of projects from wearable garments to homewares and is choc full of beautiful images, fabrics and ideas.

We also managed to sneak a mojito in at Selfridges on the way!

Sewing Bee Inspiration

Last week’s episode of the Great British Sewing Bee inspired my daughter to want to put patch pockets on something. Together. So she picked a T-shirt and put a pocket on the chest (she did a great job, she’s 9) and I picked an M&S linen shirt that most people seem to have so it could do with a bit of differentiation. I picked out some Liberty cord and added some ric-rac for good measure.

image

In other sewing news I finally finished a Simplicity Lisette tunic dress that I started last year. I had to unpick it and let it out from the waist down – it was a bit snug – but is great now. I find if I put something to the side when it’s on the brink of disaster, it usually works out when I go back to it if I’ve left it long enough.

I’ve just started knitting Silva from Rowan’s Simple Shapes Handknit Cotton in Aubergine. It’s a great style for wearing over a dress.

image